Wednesday, December 15, 2010



My favorite furniture re-do!







This project was not my first furniture re-do and certainly not my last, but it's my favorite piece of furniture in the house. I pondered and shopped many log hours deciding what piece of furniture I wanted in my entry way until I just decided I would go flea marketing and re-do something myself. I was looking for something with storage and little bit of character. I found my piece at my local Flea Market for $97.00. It was in great condition and really only needed a little paint.



Here is a couple of before pictures listed below






I felt the piece had charm and character. At first I had planned to paint it red and leave the top as is. I also planned to remove the bottom four drawers and use baskets. I started painting it red and realized I wanted it to be lighter and blue would be the color. Here is how I transformed it.

1. I lightly sanded it so the paint would stick.

2. I painted the piece with a turquoise Behr paint color with two coats.

3. I light sanded it again to give it a little distressing.

4. I used a Warm Chocolate glaze that they mixed up for me at Sherwin Williams. I used this in the lines on the piece and some around the edges. I use a regular paint brush to put the glaze on with and I use a wet cloth to wipe off the excess that I don't want. I usually wipe of the excess about ten minutes after I put it on. If you wait longer it doesn't come up as easily.

5. I used a small amount of a tea stained glaze by Ralph Lauren that I got from Home Depot on the whole piece to get the antiqued look.

6. I used a iridescent glaze from Valspar to give it a little shine.

7. Lastly, I sealed it with Polycrylic.


Below are pictures of the products I used.






















1 comment:

  1. that turned out beautifully! love the color and the glazing! it looks amazing- thanks for joining my party!

    ReplyDelete