Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A Family Bread Box








This way was my grandfathers bread box. When Kirk and I got married he had a bread box that I really didn't like. First of all it had a very country-looking front on it. Basically there was nothing I could do to it to make it look good. But my bread box was perfect and it really means alot to me because it had been used at my grandfathers house for a long time. So here's how I revamped it.

  • First I used a cleaner called TSP that you can buy at any hardware store. It is a really strong cleaner that I also used on my kitchen cabinet redo. When you apply the TSP you have to wear gloves because it's so strong. I gave it a good scrub and then I scrub it with just a sponge and water to get all of the cleaner off.

  • Secondly I used my sander to rough it up a little bit then I hand sanded the edges.

  • Then I used red latex paint and gave it one good coat. I let it dry overnight so that I could distress it easily. If you try to distress the piece before the paint's dry it will smudge.

  • I lightly distressed the edges and gave it a little bit of chocolate glaze just to given the paint more of an aged look. Then I let it dry for several hours again before I sealed it with polycrylic.

  • I decided to line the inside of the box with scrapbook paper. I glued the paper down using mod podge and smooth the top several times to get the creases out. I let it dry for a couple over house before I gave it coat over the scrapbook paper. Then I gave it about three other coats. I then sealed it with polycrylic.












I decided to use red to match my kitchen. I just love the way it turned out it really adds to the county-cottage feel of my kitchen.

























































No comments:

Post a Comment